Thursday, October 16, 2008

Restaurant Review: Dry Creek in Heldsburg!

Friday night was the first night we had gotten out of the Valley for a little date night since we got married....................two months ago! Sorry, but we have been kind of busy with life in a new land. On recommendation of Chef Tucker at the CIA, we headed over the Heldsburg for a nice dinner at Charlie Palmer's restaurant Dry Creek. Not since our return from Europe, have we experienced the beauty of a small town city center like the one in Heldsburg. The trip alone is worth it to visit the city, but the food at Dry Creek, is worth many return trips. Here is the Whole Milk Ricotta Tortellini with Seasonal Vegetables, and a Pecorino Grand CruBeurre Monté. Exquisite execution with such rich ingredients, while mellowing them out and bringing forth the flavor of the vegetables.My plate consisted of the Seared Sonoma Duck Breast with a Caramelized Dry Creek Peach, Crispy shredded Confit Leg, Haricot Verts, Almonds, all in a Duck Jus. Considering I just spent 5-months salivating over Canard Confit and Magret from the famous Gascogne region of Southwest France, I am quite picky when it comes to my duck. But, this plate blew the doors off my impression of American duck and they are for sure doing something right over there in Sonoma, as well as Mes Complements au Chef at Dry Creek.
No good dinner story ends without dessert. We are still on a college kids budget and weren't quite ready to hash out another $10 for a Valrhona Chocolate Peanut Butter Bar. Therefore we went classic French Vanilla Ice Cream with Homemade Chocolate Chip cookies and my famous espresso latte.
That isn't the end of the sweet stuff though. While cruising on a post-dinner stroll through the city center, we came across the most amazing candy store that had this contraption waiting at the entrance door. It is a manual Pixie-Stick flavored sugar distribution system with multiple unit continuous streaming flow head valves. Wow, pretty sure I could picture feeding myself into a coma out of that thing.
The store didn't just have a cool Pixie-Stick machine, it had tons of assorted candy bars, a High-definition plasma screen showing Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, and my new signature candy bar line that just came out. Sorry about that last part, but my wife made me add it to the post. All content is pre-edited now that we share a computer system. My apologizes to all loyal readers who fill that they have lost my individual, dynamic personal view that you have all come to love.

No comments: