Thursday, July 17, 2008

Viva la Tour! Stage 8: Figeac-->Toulouse

The TOUR brought us home from our Eurpean adventure and no one was happier to be home for this experience than me! What a spectacle that can't be explained by watching Versus TV. The caravane alone was worth the 5 hour wait in the rain right on the 50 meter to the finish line.
The Arkansas flag made its way to the TOUR and got a few cheers from the locals. Frankie Andreau even waved to us after I screamed out his name and told us our flag was cool :) I realize that I am kind of a cycling stalker as I could pick out random TOUR celebrities in the crowd. The night before, we were hanging out in Place St. George in Toulouse when I looked over at a local cafe and saw Phil Ligget and Paul Sherwen finishing up a couple-seven beers and enjoying some people watching time. Then Sunday morning, I walked right past the legendary Michael "The Boogie Man" Bogard walking down the sidewalk near Capitole.Back to the TOUR, at 50 meters to the finish line, we had great seats for the action.
There goes Mark Cavendish after a perfect leadout from Gerald Ciolek for an easy victory on the boulevard Jean-Jaures.
The end would be near for Kim Kirchen, but take that yellow jersey when you can get it. Kristen and I were now off to Lourdes in the Pyrenees to watch Stage 10, with the mighty Tourmalet and the Hautacam mountain finish.

No comments: