Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Caviar and Bubbles!

Today we had an Open House presentation with Domaine Chandon and TSAR Nicoulai Caviar. Not a bad afternoon snack after a long day in the kitchen. Caviar and Bubbles!
Chef Andy Wild led the demonstration which included a pouring of three Domaine Chandon Sparkling Wines and two Caviar-inspired tasting recipes. The food tastings were via Yukon Gold Potato Blini's with Creme Fraiche and California Caviar (classic Russian-Style service), and Spaghetti with Sparkling Wine, Leek and Caviar Sauce.
Domaine Chandon, which has a tasting room in Yountville, and is owned by Moet, poured three of their Sparkling wines for us. From Left to Right, Reserve Chardonnay Brut, Reserve Pinot Noir Brut, and their Etoile Brut. All were delish, but I preferred the caviar pairingness of the Reserve Pinot Noir Brut with my blini and creme fraiche. I agree, I am living a spoiled lifestyle as my friend old friend Robin Leach (Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous host) might say.
The TSAR let us taste a little bite of 4 types of California caviar. From left to right, 2-week old fish eggs, 3-week fishy fish eggs, 5-week fishiest fish eggs, and some fish eggs that were 8 months old. I preferred the fish eggs on the left. So I guess it is true in the caviar world as well: Fresh is best! Remember not too long ago when I was reporting about eating at In-N-Out Burger for the first time. I think I still prefer animal-style fries over caviar, but don't tell the chefs.

No comments: